Friday, May 13, 2011

Week 2 Blog Post 1 Reading: Giving an A

Giving an A
This chapter REALLY resonated with me. If we change our perceptions of individuals then they change their perceptions of themselves. This empowers them. If most students feel like they are A students then most of them will produce A work. This idea is crazy enough that it just might work. I plan on trying this in the fall. I have been transferred from teaching Biology I at a high school to teaching 7th grade Science. I am totally revamping my teaching and this looks to be a welcome addition.

Here are some exerts from “The Art of Possibility” by Rosamund Stone Zander and Benjamin Zander.









3 comments:

  1. Hunter,
    Sometimes crazy ideas are the most brilliant! Empowering a student to work to the best of their ability is a goal every teacher should have. I, like you, will be changing things around to make a bigger difference because of the information in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hunter - I agree completely with you here. When you take away the "boundaries" kids (and adults) are more likely to take risks, which can lead to some pretty cool discoveries, personally and professionally!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about this resonated with you so much Hunter and how do you intend to implement a similar strategy in your science classroom?

    I like what you said here" "This idea is crazy enough that it just might work."

    Remember when people thought the earth was flat? All we need is a shift in perspective to make great things/great advances possible.

    ReplyDelete