Friday, May 20, 2011

Week 3 Blog Post 1 Reading: Rule Number 6

First off let me address this rule. This author could have gotten the same response without using "gd". I believe this author could have changed the wording of this and reached a lot more people with his point. If you have no idea what I am referring to then here it is.

Rule Number 6: "Don't take yourself so 'gd' seriously" by Rosamund Stone Zander and Benjamin Zander in The Art of Possibility.

I know authors can't make everyone happy but cursing in a book is generally not the way to go.

Besides that I like the point of not taking yourself so seriously. I just wish it was worded differently.

Disclaimer: If this post offends someone because I am offended by 'gd' then I am sorry that I could not make everyone happy with this post.

4 comments:

  1. Haha Hunter, I agree. But, does saying something about it negate practicing Rule No. 6? ;)

    Yeah, I do know what you are saying though. Just like in the following chapters, choosing the right words can transform a total situation. Like the young man and his father and the "walls" they were talking about. I think maybe the author's use of the words 'gd' may have placed some walls for you in the reading.

    But words are important in communication, where some may have just glanced by those words and not even be phased, they meant something to you.
    Great video to show that:
    "It's not what you say, but how you say it"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzgzim5m7oU

    Glad I read your post today. Stay Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you 100% Hunter. Those "gd" is the only phrase that offends me. I loose a great deal of respect for people who use it, including this author. Yes the rule is great, but like you said, use different words to state your point. I found myself reading chapter 5 with awe and from chapter 6 on, the awe was gone and so was the respect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Hunter - You're "G-D" right! Oh - sorry... But that was my initial response to that chapter as well. I'm not sure if it's the Authors' words or words that he took or quoted from elsewhere. Either way, it was a turn off. But I did see the chapter for what it was worth. And, for the most part I do agree with it - however, you can't have it both ways. We can't take ourselves less serious, and then have a super high standard towards our work, and our work ethic. Double edged sword I think. I also want to comment on what a great looking blog page you've created. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing Hunter - This blog is a great place to voice those opinions, even if not everyone agrees. Cursing just for the sake of it or for shock value has never appealed to me either. However, in this case, I think Zander may have been trying to test a point as Rowdy commented. Who knows, maybe we should ask him?

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete